2016-11-07 training log

Starting a new program variation, and it started out pretty well.

The intention here is to keep on track towards my PR goals to end the year, but modifying the work I do to contend with the arm pain/issues I’m having.

First, the new setup does seem to help. Yes it’s still weird to not have a full grip on the bar, but the false grip really isn’t too bad — it’s stronger and more stable than I expected. But it is difficult to get into it; I do need to warm up into it, stretch into it, but once I got going it worked pretty well. For sure I’m going to add “getting into that squat position” to my daily warm-up to help work on stretching my pecs/shoulders out. But all in all it worked out quite well today, as the first day using it with “real weight” on my back.

Second, the elbow sleeves do seem to help, because mucho warmth. The knees sleeves too. Hard to describe, because it’s not some huge difference, but for sure my knees just felt good. Happy with the new ST sleeves.

Third, and interesting side-effect of the new setup is I find my upper back is MUCH tighter. Makes sense, because basically my chest is “thrust” further forward to make this position happen. Welcome side-effect.

And so I squatted. 275 admittedly started to mess with my head a bit, but there’s no reason as I’ve squatted more than this for reps with no problem. Still, I think because I’m flirting in the 300’s now (e.g. this cycle’s 1+ will be 310#) and close to breaking my all-time PR (325#), things are creeping into my head. That said, I just told myself the usual: just 1 rep at a time, be tight, don’t worry about where you stop just keep going and see how far you get. After I did the required 5 reps, I found myself pausing between each rep for a couple good, deep breaths. Did I necessarily need? No, but I just wanted to do that to ensure I kept things flowing. I then stopped at 9 because I was actually getting a little light-headed from all the oxygen. 🙂 It was kinda cool to have pushed a little further. Very happy with 9 reps.

Then, there’s the change-up.

I am going to do RDL’s instead of straight-/stiff-leg deadlifts. In a lot of ways the same, but for sure there’s a different execution and mental approach. Again, I find Alan Thrall really good at teaching and explaining concepts, and a recent RDL video of his gave me a few cues and tips. So today I just picked a number and went, trying to be stricter and better about RDL form and execution. I actually lowered the weight to allow better focus on technique, but by then things were feeling worn out. Next week I’ll start lower and just focus on technique — even if it means a few sessions at a very light weight, I don’t care — I want to ensure I get the most out of this.

Then into hypers and boy… I just peeded out. The lower back and glutes said they had it.

Anyways, that’s that. My arms are feeling alright, the squatting went quite well. The equipment and technique changes seem to be positive and helping. All in all, good times.

5/3/1-based program

  • Squats
    • bar x whatever
    • 135 x 5
    • 160 x 5
    • 190 x 3
    • 210 x 5
    • 245 x 5
    • 275 x 9 (9RM PR)
  • Romanian Deadlift
    • 185 x 8
    • 185 x 8
    • 185 x 8
    • 135 x 5
    • 135 x 5
  • Hyperextensions
    • BW x 15
    • BW x 13
    • BW x 4
  • Crunches
    • BW x 15
    • BW x 15
    • BW x 15
    • BW x 10
  • Standing Calf Raises
    • 65 x 12
    • 65 x 12
    • 65 x 12
    • 65 x 12
Advertisements

Join the discussion!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s