2014-10-13 training log

Time to change things up.

Since my priority is diet and fat loss, that drives all decisions.

I’ve been officially with Renaissance Periodization for 9 weeks, but on the “defattening” front for about 10-11 weeks. At my worst I was 265 lbs., 261 when I started with RP, and this morning weighed in at 245 lbs. So about 20 lbs. in a little less than 3 months? I’ll take it.

That said, things are slowing down. There have been diet adjustments to keep things on track, but now it’s getting a little extreme. My body has lost enough and been deprived for a while now, and it appears it’s starting to revolt against me. 🙂 So before we take a break from the fat-loss (and go maybe a month on “maintenance”), we’re trying something else. I can tell my body is craving carbs bad… not just in a “oh gee, this is miserable” way, but in a “man, you’re not functioning correctly” sort of way. I can tell I’ve got brain fade, some memory issues, and sometimes I just can’t focus. The way my body is screaming at me is something I’ve experienced numerous times before, and it’s craving in a particular way because something is seriously lacking that my body says “I need!”, not “I want”.

So to try to help manage this, we’re changing things up slightly.

Instead of lifting 3x week and thus having 4 “off” and thus “no carb” days, I’m now going to lift 4x week, which gives me another day of carb consumption. It’s still relatively low on carbs and caloric intake overall, but hopefuly having a little less overall depletion will help. We shall see.

So that’s the diet part. Now the exercise part.

On the whole, things remain steady. I went back to Paul Carter’s Basebuilding eBook to look for a 4x/week template. There’s only one in the book, and it’s actually pretty close to what I was doing anyways. It adds another day that is a “shoulder” day, and shifts a few things around a bit. But because things are mostly the same well… I’m keeping most things on track, just making minor adjustments. I’m also not following the template exactly. For example, I’m keeping lunges in because I do feel I need more single-leg work to help with my knee, etc..

Today marks the first day of this.

Benching was fine. I actually may bump this up after a couple more weeks because the bar speed is doing well, and the AMRAP set continues to increase. I’ll see how things go.

Inclines are 350 method. I felt like a wuss only putting 85 lbs. on the bar, but that wound up being more than enough. After the AMRAP set, my triceps were spent, so the inclines were worse. 🙂

Paul’s template finishes things off with dips, but that wasn’t going to happen due to the aforementioned spent triceps. So I just did some flies instead. That’ll probably be how it will be. Tho perhaps in time as my body adapts I might try going back to dips. We’ll see.

Anyways, changes changes. So long as progress continues, I’m happy. Time will tell.

Based upon Paul Carter’s Basebuilding

  • Bench Press (model 2)
    • bar x 5
    • bar x 5
    • 115 x 5
    • 130 x 4
    • 155 x 3
    • 170 x 2
    • 190 x 1
    • 200 x 1
    • 190 x 5
    • 190 x 5
    • 190 x 5
    • 170 x 5
    • 170 x 5
    • 170 x 5
    • 135 x 18 (AMRAP)
  • Incline Press (350 Method)
    • 85 x 16
    • 85 x 14
    • 85 x 19
  • Machine Flies
    • 90 x 10
    • 90 x 10
    • 90 x 10
    • 90 x 10

Join the discussion!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.