Doggie is going to get “tutored” today.

This is showing what sort of “not a dog person” I am. I have been agonizing over it… knowing she’s going to be left “alone” at the vet’s office, how much it pains her to be away from us and additionally locked up at some strange place with strange people. And then having to come home wearing “the cone of shame” and how miserable that’s going to be for her for a few days.

It’s been one of those “hurts me more than it’s going to hurt her” sort of situations.

Even Wife and Kiddos aren’t as pained about this as I am.

Yes… I’ve become a total sucker for that dog. *sigh* 🙂

10 thoughts on “Tutored

  1. I did the same thing when it was time for my cats to be spayed, so don’t feel to bad!

    My husband and I have been having similer discussions about our future puppy too. The breeder requires a signed agreement not to “tutor” (love that cartoon btw) before 8 months of age, and she out right told us she’d prefer that we wait till the dog is at least a year in age. The reason being this is a very slow to mature breed and the extra time with all the various glands intact is considered good for the dog. At the same time neither of us wants to have to deal with a female in heat, or a male who can’t stand not being able to get at the female GSD across the road when she’s in heat (yes they breed German Shepherds, no the pups aren’t AKC registered, yes they definetly over-breed her, and yes I have a problem with this). I expect its going to be a wait and see what happens sort of decision, I have no problem taking my time getting the dog neutered, but I also have no wish to deal with the potential issues either since I have no intention of breeding dogs myself. We’ll talk to the trainer about it and have to see how it goes.

    • Yeah, it’s a tough thing to weigh. Your situation may have to be one where you just wait as long as you can. Of course, what are the downsides if you did it early? Can those be lived with?

      In our case, I’m not sure why she was kept intact this long (now that I think about it). But when we took her (remember, she’s a re-home… we’re owner #2… breeder, owner #1, back to breeder, then us), breeder did want us to wait at least 2 months before we spayed her in case she didn’t work out for us. I believe because if they had to take her back, they were going to probably show and breed her (which stands to reason, given her lineage). But she’s totally a keeper for us, and part of the agreement was that we would not breed her and would get her spayed… which is just fine with me because I have zero interest in breeding, or even just having puppies because the neighbor dog got his interest perked. 😉

      She’s home now… sacked out on her bed… still shaking off all the meds and such. So far seems to be doing ok, just looks all miserable since she’s not her normal vivacious self.

  2. I do recall you’re home 2, and the reasoning makes sense completely!

    In our case the downsides probly aren’t REALLY an issue since we want a pet and companion, but….the upside of waiting… In the breeder’s opinion the dogs mature better, have a better stature, and she feels they’re generally studier dogs for it. I have no idea what the scientific data says about it mind but I’ve had vets say similer too, and I know from personal experience working with horses, a colt that’s gelded early does NOT look, or act, or flat out handle the same as his full brother who was gelded as a 5 or 6 year old even if they were trained by the same trainer (there’s differences in the mares too, but horse owners are much less likely to neuter their mare than their stallion, plus the differences are much less noticable in mares). Plus I do have to admit that we’ve played around with doing some showing, it would all be for fun, but there’s actually a nice selection of shows with in comfortable driving of us so it wouldn’t be that hard…except it would mean keeping the dog intact and is it worth the potential hassle? I expect alot of it is going to have to be worked out once we have the dog and are working with the trainer and his or her (the dog not the trainer!) reactions to the dogs around us. If we start having problems we’ll neuter as soon as agreeable to breeder and vet, otherwise we may wait and see. (besides I can picture the reaction of the neighbors if their female had giant furry babies….)

    Your doggy sounds like a total keeper, glad she made it through the surgery ok!

    • ….things I think of after I hit send….

      There’s also the possiblity that the dog we’ll get won’t be of show quality (we told the breeder that our dog comes first, showing (if any) would be a distant 100th or so, and so we would happily take a puppy that might have a fault or two, whether in color or look) which would totally take that decision out of our hands completely. I don’t expect her to have any such puppies, this is a woman’s who’d been working with these dogs almost as long as I’ve been alive (I didn’t tell her that lol) and she knows almost exactly what to expect out of this breeding. The puppies due date is middle of this month and we can’t wait!

      • Well then, hopefully it’ll pay off that Sasha didn’t get spayed until yesterday then (just shy of a year old). 🙂

        It sounds like you’ve got an exciting experience about to happen for you… just a few more days! Well, a few more days until they’re born but I reckon at least 2 months before you could take her home. I like your general approach to it tho… just take it as it comes. Really, no better way to handle life. 🙂

Join the discussion!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.