I realized after loading a bunch that the powder drop was actually dropping 3.7 grains of Titegroup. I’m on the really low end of things so I didn’t think it’d make that much of a difference, but I swore one time at the range those loads felt a little snappier. So I reloaded a bunch more .38 making sure to load it at 3.5 grains.
At the range this morning I tried out both loads side-by-side. I don’t have any chrono results, but I can say I felt a hint more snap in the 3.7 grains vs. the 3.5 grains. And there’s something that wants to say the 3.7 might have been a hair more accurate, but I didn’t have enough on hand to really make that determination.
Nevertheless, 3.5 or 3.7 didn’t make too much practical difference in how things felt. I’m going to run my supply down (should be easy with next month’s snub class), and when I begin .38 loads again, I’m going to try it at the 3.7 grains and see how it goes.
Anyway, at this point I’m pretty satisfied with my .38 recipe. I’m sure I’ll experiment more in the future, different powders, different bullets, different lengths and so on. But for now, what I have works and is good enough to go forward.